Main Menu
What's New
Guestbook
Interactive
Memories
Contact

Newark Board of Education
2 Cedar Street
Newark, NJ 07102
973-733-6700

        Newark's first school was opened in 1676 by the first settlers.  Around this time a doctrine of compulsory education with penalties for neglect to pay school rates was introduced.  Another record shows a town school being started "in ye middle of ye towne" in the fall of 1714

        The College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) became successful through the personal efforts of the Rev. Aaron Burr.  He conducted the classical school at its first location, in the First Presbyterian Church, which opened on November 9, 1747.  The school remained in Newark until 1755, when it moved to Princeton, New Jersey.

        May, 1775 saw the town vote for one and a half acres of land to be occupied by an academy.  This school was plundered and burned by the British army.  The rebuilding of the school took place in 1792 at Broad and Academy Streets.  The United States Government took over the school building in 1855 for use of a post office and custom house.  I'll have further details on the Newark Academy (which still exists) at a future date.

        The nineteenth century saw the achievement of the school system as it is now know.  In 1814 a committee was appointed by the town to provide for the education of poor children.  1822 saw the Female Union established by charitable women and sustained by public money.  The support of the common school system was started in 1828 with the legislature making appropriations for education in the amount of $20,000.  An election of a school committee was held in 1836 under the city charter.  It also gave the council authority to raise money by taxation for the support of the public schools.  Four schools were opened in 1838 and the first board of education was organized in 1851.

        The Newark Summer Schools were organized in 1885 and in 1910, 25% of the eligible children attended.  At the turn of the century, the Newark Board of Education attempted to place school buildings on sites that were large enough for ample play space.  Those pre-existing schools that didn't have this space were enlarged by the purchase of adjoining property.  These new schools were built with the most modern ideas in architecture.

Photos

Advanced

Elementary

Middle School

High School

Parochial

Private

Unknown Graduation Photos

 

Newark Do Something - NDS inspires, trains, funds, and mobilizes young people to take action to measurably strengthen Newark, their schools and build sustainable neighborhoods.

 

1998-2006 Old Newark WebMaster. All rights reserved.