|Waterways, Wharfs & Bridges|
From "Newark and Its Leading Businessmen" 1891:
The Clay Street Free Bridge is a substantial iron and stone structure, at the foot of Clay Street, and connects the two municipalities of Newark and Kearny. It was built at an expense of $75,000 with Essex and Hudson counties each bearing one half of the cost. This bridge was the result of long years of persistent effort and agitation, and was mainly due to the labors of Freeholders Kinsey of Essex and Tierney of Hudson, who carried the scheme through in their respective Board of Freeholders in the face of considerable difficulty. The building of this bridge affords accommodation to a number of large manufacturing establishments on either side of the river, which before the bridge was completed were compelled to send their teams a long distance out of their way in order to make their crossings. The bridge has an ample draw, which is opened and closed by a steam engine.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|